Last Updated: September 2, 2020
Collection of Information
Use of Information
Sharing of Information
Advertising and Analytics
Transfer of Information to the United States and Other Countries
Your California Privacy Rights
Additional Disclosures for Individuals in Europe
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
To use the Platform, you must sign a licensing agreement and create an account. In doing so, we collect information you provide directly to us. For example, you share information directly with us when you create an account, fill out a form, submit or post content through our Platform, make a purchase, communicate with us via third-party platforms, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of personal information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, professional or employment-related information such as company name or representatives’ names, and any other information you choose to provide.
The AdvisorEngine Platform is not directed to children under the age of 16. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under the age of 16 has provided us with personal information, we will take reasonable efforts to delete such personal information.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
When you access or use our Platform or otherwise transact business with us, we automatically collect certain information, including:
- Activity Information: We collect information about your activity on our Platform, such as data displayed.
- Transactional Information: When you make a purchase, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, purchase price, and the date and location of the transaction.
- Device and Usage Information: We collect information about how you access our Platform, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, and app version. We also collect information about your activity on our Platform, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Platform.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We obtain information from third-party sources in order to provide business services. We do not sell the information we collect. For example, we may collect information about you from identity verification Platform, credit bureaus, advertising networks, data analytics providers, and/or mailing list providers. This information is required for the use of our services. Additionally, if you create or log into your AdvisorEngine account through a third-party platform (such as Facebook or Google), we will have access to certain information from that platform, such as your name, birthday, and profile picture, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such platform, however we do not collect this information and do no sell this information.
Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may make inferences about your location based on your IP.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, administer and/or improve the Platform. We also use the information we collect to:
- Ensure proper functioning of AdvisorEngine and the Platform;
- Provide services, content, material and other information on the Platform;
- Process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations, receipts, invoices, customer experience surveys, and recall notices;
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Platform;
- Identify and/or diagnose problems on or related to our Platform;
- Send you technical notices, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Provide requested information, technical support and/or integrations such as an application programming interface or API;
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, Platform, and events offered by AdvisorEngine and others and provide news and information that we think will interest you (see the Your Choices section below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Platform;
- Personalize the advertisements you see on third-party platforms and websites (for more information, see the Advertising and Analytics section below);
- Personalize the advertisements you see when you use our Platform based on information provided by our advertising partners;
- Target prospective customers with our products or services (with your consent, where legally required);
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of AdvisorEngine and others;
- Debug to identify and repair errors in our Platform;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected; and
- For other reasonable internal use or uses aligned with your relationship with us and the context in which we collected the information.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
We share personal information in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this policy:
- We share personal information with vendors, service providers, and consultants that need access to personal information in order to perform services for us, such as trade processing, data management, fraud prevention, customer service, marketing and/or advertising.
- All authorized users listed on your account may view personal information stored in your account. A primary account holder may view personal information saved in sub-accounts to which it has authorized access.
- If you choose to use integrations we offer on our Platform, we share certain information with the integration partners.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may share personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of AdvisorEngine, our users, the public, or others.
- We share personal information with our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our business interests.
- We may share personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, merger, sale of company assets, financing, bankruptcy, business closure, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company. Additionally, as part of such event, we may transfer or sell personal information to a third party. We will provide notice to you by email and/or a prominent notice on our Platform of any such sharing to a third party and any choices you may have regarding the sharing of your personal information.
- Personal information is shared between and among AdvisorEngine and our current and future parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership (“corporate affiliates”). This information may be used to provide you with offers, services, or products that may be of interest to you and provide you with their products and services. Any such corporate affiliate may use your personal information only according to the terms of this Policy. If you are located in a jurisdiction where such sharing requires your permission, we will only share such information with your consent. If you decide you no longer wish to receive these promotional communications, please follow the instructions provided in Your Choices section below.
- We share personal information with your consent or at your direction.
- We also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS
We may also work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of customized campaigns on third-party platforms (such as Facebook). As part of these ad campaigns, we or the third-party platforms may convert information about you, such as your email address and phone number, into a unique value that can be matched with a user account on these platforms to allow us to learn about your interests and serve you advertising that is customized to your interests. Note that the third-party platforms may offer you choices about whether you see these types of customized ads. You may opt out of receiving marketing communications at any time through those platforms. Click here to manage your advertising preferences for NextRoll/Adroll which is the third party AdvisorEngine uses for its customized campaigns, and click here to manage your advertising preferences for Google Ads.
TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO THE UNITED STATES AND OTHER COUNTRIES
AdvisorEngine is headquartered in the United States, and we have operations and service providers in the United States and other countries. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide levels of data protection that are equivalent to those of your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
You may update or correct certain account information or deactivate your account at any time by logging into your account, emailing us at email@example.com, or calling us at 1-866-826-2731. If you wish to deactivate your account, please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes. If you decide you no longer wish to receive AdvisorEngine promotional communications, please click here.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from AdvisorEngine by following the instructions in those communications or by calling 1-866-826-2731. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California law, including the California Consumer Privacy Act or “CCPA” (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.100 et seq.) and the Shine the Light law (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.83), afford consumers residing in California certain rights with respect to their personal information. If you are a California resident, this section applies to you.
California Consumer Privacy Act
In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, commercial information, internet or other electronic network activity information, professional or employment-related information, and inferences. For details about the data points we collect and the categories of sources of such collection, please see the Collection of Information section above. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the Use of Information section above. In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for business purposes to the following categories of recipients:
Category of Personal Information
Categories of Recipients
Information, government IDs, cookies, name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol (IP) address, email address, account name, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers
Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
Internet or other electronic network activity information
Browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement
Professional or employment-related information
Name, address, government ID, social security number or other similar identifier
Used to create a profile reflecting a consumer such as: preferences, characteristics, phycological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, aptitudes
California law requires that we provide transparency about personal information we “sell,” which, for the purposes of the CCPA, broadly means scenarios in which AdvisorEngine has shared personal information with third parties in exchange for valuable consideration. AdvisorEngine does not “sell” personal information to advertise our products to you or otherwise.
Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to (1) request to know more about the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collect, use, and disclose, and sell, (2) request deletion of your personal information, (3) opt out of any “sales” of your personal information that may be occurring, and (4) not be discriminated against for exercising these rights. You may make these requests by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at 1-866-826-2731. We will verify your request by asking you to provide information related to your recent interactions with us, such as your name, account number and/or address. We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your rights under the CCPA.
If we receive your request from an authorized agent, we may ask for evidence that you have provided such agent with a power of attorney or that the agent otherwise has valid written authority to submit requests to exercise rights on your behalf. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request, please contact us.
Shine the Light
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 1-866-826-2731.
Do Not Track Signals
Our Services do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals communicated by your browser. We do not knowingly retain or sell tracking information collected about your online activity. For more information about Do Not Track, please visit www.allaboutdnt.com.
ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR INDIVIDUALS IN EUROPE
If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data, and this section applies to you.
Legal Basis for Processing
When AdvisorEngine processes your personal data, AdvisorEngine will do so in reliance on the following lawful bases:
- To perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the products and Platform you requested).
- When we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data to operate our business or protect our interests (e.g., to provide, maintain, and improve our products and Platform, conduct data analytics, and communicate with you).
- To comply with our legal obligations (e.g., to maintain a record of your consents and track those who have opted out of marketing communications).
- When we have your consent to do so (e.g., when you opt in to receive marketing communications from us). When consent is the legal basis for our processing your personal data, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
We store personal data associated with your account for as long as your account remains active. If you close your account, we will deactivate your account data within 30 days; otherwise, we will delete your account data after seven years of inactivity. We store other personal data for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Data Subject Requests
Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to request access to the personal data we hold about you and to receive your data in a portable format, the right to ask that your personal data be corrected or erased, and the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions or Complaints
If you have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html
Toll-free telephone: 1-866-826-2731
Postal address: AdvisorEngine, 3651 Trust Drive. Raleigh, NC 27616